Want to get into the festive spirit whilst keeping control of your savings this season? Here are a few quick tips to get you off to a flying start.
1. Make a list, check it twice
We all know the premise behind writing down what you need to buy – if you stick to your list then there’s less temptation to stray. So before hitting the shops, decide how much you have to spend and who you need to buy for.
2. Compare prices
Gone are the days when you had to wait until the New Year to bag a bargain; pre-Christmas sales are becoming the norm as retailers battle it out to drive sales. Don’t fancy trawling the shops to get the cheapest deal? There are some useful websites out there such as Shopbot and Getprice which allow you to compare product prices. And talking of online…
3. Save money, save time!
The Australian Retailers Association and Roy Morgan pre-Christmas predictions estimate Australians will spend almost $53bn in the lead up to Christmas. It’s also estimated that 1 in 4 online consumers will buy their gifts via a mobile device this Christmas according to recent research by Shopify, with tablets being the preferred option for shopping on the go.
But whether you choose your smartphone, tablet or PC, shopping online has some real benefits: an expansive range of products through multiple retailers, competitive pricing, and focused shopping.
4. Self-gifting? Buy ahead
Research from the National Retail Federation in the USA predicts 60% of shoppers will indulge in self-gifting this Christmas, factoring their own special treat into the budget.
If you’re planning to factor some ‘me-time’ into the gifting process, then you could turn your splurge into a save by buying your winter woollies in advance – and at sale price – from overseas sites. If you’re an eligible Orange One or Orange Everyday customer, you can shop with any online retailer, and we’ll rebate the ING International Transaction fees. All you need to do is deposit your pay of $1,000 or more into your Orange Everyday account each month as well as make 5+ settled (not pending) card purchases. (A cash advance fee applies for any cash advance with Orange One.)
5. Stimulate the second hand economy
Many of us are expected to receive an unwanted gift this Christmas, but as the saying goes, “One man’s junk is another man’s treasure”. One way to combat this is to throw your own post-Christmas White Elephant Exchange, a fun and sustainable way to pass on those left-of-field gifts. Everybody wins!
Christmas predictions estimate numbers researched by ARA / Roy Morgan.
Rebate Offers for Orange Everyday, Orange One and Orange One Platinum Customers
Where you satisfy the eligibility requirements in the current calendar month, ING will rebate the following under the Global ATM Rebate and the ING International Transaction Fee Rebate Offers in the following calendar month:
Global ATM Rebate:
- for ATMs in Australia – any ATM fee charged by the ATM operator is rebated immediately following the transaction,
- for ATMs outside Australia – ING will rebate the International ATM withdrawal fee of $2.50 immediately after it is charged and rebate any ATM fee charged by the ATM operator at settlement of the transaction. While the transaction is pending the amount of the acquirer fee will be deducted from your available balance and will be reinstated after the transaction is finalised. ATM transactions outside Australia can take up to 5 business days to finalise.
ING International Transaction Fee Rebate:
- for ING International Transaction Fees – ING will rebate the ING International Transaction Fee of 2.5% of the amount of the international transaction immediately after it is charged. Merchants may charge you a separate fee for their services (which is not rebated under this offer).
Eligibility requirements to receive the Global ATM Rebate and ING International Transaction Fee Rebate Offers – You must perform the following during the current calendar month to receive benefit of the above rebates next calendar month:
- deposit at least $1,000 from an external bank account to any personal ING account in your name (excluding Living Super and Orange One), and
- also make at least 5 card purchases that are settled (and not at a ‘pending status’) using your ING debit or credit card (excluding ATM withdrawals, balance enquiries, cash advances and EFTPOS cash out only transactions).
^Card purchases includes in store credit or EFTPOS purchases, online purchases, regular card payments, payWave, Apple Pay, and Google Pay transactions made with an Orange Everyday Visa card, Orange One or Orange One Platinum Visa card.
+When using the phrase ‘settled‘ card purchases in a calendar month, we mean that the purchases made on your card must be fully processed by the end of the last day of that month. Card purchases made in store or online this current calendar month which are at a ‘pending status’ and do not settle until the next calendar month do not count towards the 5 card purchases needed this current calendar month.
When determining if you are eligible under the offer, we also take into account the behaviour of any of your joint account holders or additional cardholders.
Where eligibility is satisfied, the offer will apply to:
- all Orange Everyday accounts held in your name (either single or joint account), and
- all Orange One and Orange One Platinum accounts held in your name (including in respect of any additional cardholder).
The ING cash advance fee for Orange One and Orange One Platinum customers is not rebated under this offer.
This offer may be changed or withdrawn at any time at ING’s sole discretion.
The information is current as at publication. Any advice on this website does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and you should consider whether it is appropriate for you. Deposit products, savings products, credit card and home loan products are issued by ING, a business name of ING Bank (Australia) Limited ABN 24 000 893 292, AFSL and Australian Credit Licence 229823. ING Living Super (which is part of the ING Superannuation Fund ABN 13 355 603 448) is issued by Diversa Trustees Limited ABN 49 006 421 638, AFSL 235153 RSE L0000635. The insurance cover offered by ING Living Super is provided by Metlife Insurance Limited ABN 75 004 274 882, AFSL 238096. ING Insurance is issued by Auto & General Insurance Company Limited (AGIC) ABN 42 111 586 353 AFSL Licence No 285571 as insurer. It is distributed by Auto & General Services Pty Ltd (AGS) ABN 61 003 617 909 AFSL 241411 and by ING as an Authorised Representative AR 1247634 of AGS. All applications for credit are subject to ING's credit approval criteria, and fees and charges apply. You should consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement, Terms and Conditions, Fees and Limits Schedule, Financial Services Guide, Key Facts Sheet and Credit Guide available at ing.com.au when deciding whether to acquire, or to continue to hold, a product. Before interacting with us via our social media platforms, please take a minute to familiarise yourself with our Social Media User Terms https://www.ing.com.au/pdf/Social_Media_User_Terms.pdf.