Category: House & Home
Chapter Select
Sub category: Insure
4 October 2022

Because even your things deserve a break

Travel is back – and not everyone packs light. If you’re planning a trip, you may also be planning on taking some of your things with you. Home and contents insurance or contents insurance alone covers your things when you’re nestled in safely at your humble abode. But what if you treat some of your things to a holiday?  From your trombone to your opera glasses, or even your solid-gold grillz check your contents insurance to see what treasures you can keep protected and where.

Home and contents insurance policies can vary. You may be covered for items under a certain value away from home such as your jewellery but not other items such as your sick new diving equipment. Always check your Product Disclosure Statement to see what bits and bobs are included in your cover.

Does home and contents insurance cover your things if you take them on holiday?

If you have a home and contents insurance policy, or a contents insurance policy, some things can be covered in your home. But you’ll need to check you have Personal Effects Cover (sometimes known as portable valuables or cover away from home) included if you or your family want to take them away. In some policies, it will be an optional extra that you will need to add and in others, it will be included. So, do some digging and find out before you take those jewel-encrusted Budgie Smugglers on a trip.

You can cover all sorts of things when you take them away  

– Clothes
Maybe you’re off to get married and you’ve got an expensive designer dress. Or maybe you’re just out to impress.

– Sporting goods
If you’re a surfer, skater or maybe even a croquet player. Thieves take holidays too and might not fancy just laying by the pool.

– Car seats
When you go on holidays, you won’t always have your own car. You might want to take the kids’ car seats along.

– Camping equipment
When you go on an outdoor adventure, you want (and need) to have all the right gear. Some of it might be covered for those big-swear-word moments.

Where can I take my things and keep them insured?

Before you treat any of your prized possessions to a little trip away, check to see where you’ll be covered. Some policies might only cover your things within Australia while others will cover you anywhere around the world.

What does Personal Effects Cover actually cover?

Before you go on a shopping spree assuming your insurer will pay up big if anything happened, remember most of your things will be covered up-to an agreed value which your insurer will disclose to you in your policy.

If you want to insure certain items not covered as standard, or items worth more than standard policy limits, and have cover whilst away, you might need to get Specified Personal Effects Cover at an additional cost added to your contents insurance.

Check out ING’s Home and Contents Insurance offering to see if it’s right for you.

ING Home and Contents Insurance is issued by Auto & General Insurance Company Ltd ABN 42 111 586 353 AFSL 285571 as insurer. It is distributed by Auto & General Services Pty Ltd ABN 61 003 617 909 AFSL 241411 (AGS) and by ING Bank (Australia) Ltd ABN 24 000 893 292 as Authorised Representative 1247634 of AGS. ING is a business name of ING Bank (Australia) Ltd (ING) .

ING will receive a commission from AGS for each policy purchased which is a percentage of the premium. For further details see the Financial Services Guide.

An ING Insurance policy issued does not represent a deposit with or liability of, and is not guaranteed or otherwise supported by, ING or its related bodies corporate.

ING Home & Contents Insurance is subject to AGS ‘ underwriting criteria and ING’s Customer Eligibility and Name-Screening Assessment. Home & Contents Insurance is not available in NT, North QLD or Northern WA.

Information in this article is general information only, and does not take into account your particular objectives, financial situation or needs and you should consider whether it is appropriate for you having regard to these factors before acting on it. Conditions, limits/sub-limits, waiting periods, exclusions and excesses apply.  Read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement, Target Market Determination, Key Fact Sheets, Financial Services Guide and the ING Customer Eligibility and Name-Screening document and consider if an ING Home & Contents Insurance product is right for you before deciding to purchase or continue to hold the product.

The price we quote is at the insurer’s sole and unrestricted discretion. It is based on the profile of the risk to be covered and any other factors the insurer may choose. These factors may change at any time without notice, as may the prices. If the policy renews, the price may exceed the price paid for the previous policy. Premiums are subject to change. You will be responsible for all applicable GST and other statutory charges.

Related articles

House & Home